Blaire and I like to mix high-end and low-end items together. We shop at Nordstrom for most things, because they have it all, but we also like to throw in some items from places like Forever 21. I get asked the question, “am I too old to shop at Forever 21?” quite often. My answer is no.
I am in no way close to being 21. Those days are long gone, but I still think that the store is a great place to find some fun and trendy pieces, for a steal! The one thing you have to remember is that YOU’RE NOT 21, when you are buying things. I wouldn’t wear a crop top or a skintight mini skirt, not now or then, but I would wear a cute red paisley top. So here are a few of my tips for shopping at Forever 21, when you are not 21.
- Shop online. They have the most selection and you don’t have to weed through the overwhelming racks of unorganized stuff.
- Know that you are getting a deal and quality may not always be there. You may only be able to wear the piece for 1 or 2 seasons. But it will most likely be out of style by then anyway.
- Shop conservatively. Things tend to run a little bit smaller, hey we were all smaller when we were 21. So be ok with sizing up to the next size.
- Ignore the items that are either too trendy or too risque. I have to admit that I cringe sometimes when I see some pieces. There are a few things that no one should wear, no matter the age or body type, but for each their own.
- Know the return policy! I shop online because I can return things and get a full refund. The stores will only issue an exchange. But they don’t offer to pay for your return shipping. They provide a sticker with the address, but you have have to pay for the postage out of your own pocket. So that’s a downside, but I don’t really mind because I am at the post office at least once a week anyway (#Ionlineshoptoomuch.)
- They have great sweaters! I have so many sweaters that cost me less than $25 that I have gotten over the past few years. They are great staples and I take really good care of them so they have held up really well.
- Things sell out FAST! So if you see it, buy it. I have missed out on some adorable pieces because I let them sit in my cart too long.
- They have a Waitlist so if something is sold out in your size you can sign up to get an email if it comes back in stock. Yay!
- There’s a lot of stuff and you have to have an open mind on what you are going to find. So be patient and get digging.
Shop my Forever 21 Picks!
Photos by: Jnelly Photography
Shop the Post: